Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Short Subject: The Art of Skiing (1941)



Goofy goes skiing.


I love the different opening here with the yodelling instead of the regular Goofy melody, and that it continues throughout the short.  The mountains used for the background are gorgeous and Goofy’s outfit is really nice too.  I like the connection of green pants, scarf, and hat and the contrast of green, yellow, and red looks great.  It also stands out really well against the snow and the darker rocks on the mountains.

The narrator Goofy interactions are some of the best in these cartoons.  With him yelling at Goofy to get up after he goes back to bed and that he forgot his pants. I also think it’s great how Goofy sleeping comes full circle with him being flung back into bed at the end with the ski jump.  The sound effects here are really great and match all the gags nicely.  In fact I don’t think there was anything I didn’t enjoy about this short.  It’s funny, it looks and sounds great, and I even learned new things like that schuss is the name for rapid downhill skiing.  

For me it was a heck of a lot more fun watching Goofy go skiing than it was going skiing myself.    

No comments:

Post a Comment