Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Short Subject: Paperman (2012)



I love this short.  


Really I could leave my review just as that, because I truly love this short, everything about it.  I love the designs of the characters.  The round 3D look along with the flatter 2D effect of the lighting is such a distinct look. The guy reminds me of Roger from 101 Dalmatians not just in look with his large nose and long limbs, but also his little smile at the beginning and his dorky attempts to get the woman’s attention with the paper airplanes. 

I find the grayscale look of the short with only the red lipstick for emphasis compelling.  It reminds of classic 30’s and 40’s films and I like that the train cars and automobile designs reinforce the period.  I love how the movements of the airplanes are timed so well to the music, I also love that it’s all sound and music in the short, no dialogue at all. 

Finally I love that after fate essentially intervenes to bring our two characters together there’s no wedding bells, no grand proclamations of happily ever after just them getting to know each other over coffee.  It’s subdued quiet, soft and I think it’s wonderful.  It’s a cute, inventive, slice of life story that looks and sounds great and I want to see more work like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment